|English - Wordnet 3.0|
1. a sophisticated person who has travelled in many countries;
[syn: cosmopolitan, cosmopolite]
1. growing or occurring in many parts of the world;
- Example: "a cosmopolitan herb"
- Example: "cosmopolitan in distribution"
[syn: cosmopolitan, widely distributed]
2. composed of people from or at home in many parts of the world; especially not provincial in attitudes or interests;
- Example: "his cosmopolitan benevolence impartially extended to all races and to all creeds"- T.B. Macaulay
- Example: "the ancient and cosmopolitan societies of Syria and Egypt"
- Example: "that queer, cosmopolitan, rather sinister crowd found around the Marseilles docks"
3. of worldwide scope or applicability;
- Example: "an issue of cosmopolitan import"
- Example: "the shrewdest political and ecumenical comment of our time"- Christopher Morley
- Example: "universal experience"
[syn: cosmopolitan, ecumenical, oecumenical, general, universal, worldwide, world-wide]